GCCOA HALL OF FAME
THE GCCOA IS THE OLDEST ASSOCIATION IN THE MHSAA. WHILE BEING THE OLDEST ASSOCIATION, OUR GROUP CONTINUES TO BE CONSIDERED A LEADER AMONG ALL ASSOCIATIONS. THAT REPUTATION STEMS FROM A LONG HISTORY OF EXCELLENCE IN OFFICIATING, AND A WILLINGNESS TO EMBRACE NEW PHILOSOPHIES, MECHANICS, AND OTHER PROGRAMS INTENDED TO IMPROVE OUR OFFICIALS AND BENEFIT THE STUDENT ATHELETES THAT WE SERVE. THE GREAT REPUTATION THAT OUR MEMBERS ENJOY, AND THE RESPECT THEY EARN, IS A DIRECT RESULT OF THE EFFORTS OF THE PIONEERS OF OUR ASSOCIATION.
IT IS WITH THIS THOUGHT IN MIND THAT THE EFFORT TO RECOGNIZE AND CELEBRATE THESE OFFICIALS HAS EVOLVED INTO THE FORMATION OF THE GCCOA HALL OF FAME. OUR PURPOSE IS TO IDENTIFY, AND RELATE, FOR OUR NEWEST MEMBERS, THE HISTORY OF OUR PEDIGREE. THE REASON OUR ASSOCIATION IS SO WELL RECEIVED STATE-WIDE STARTED WITH THE COMMITMENT OF THESE PIONEERS. HAVING THIS KNOWLEDGE WILL HELP AND ENCOURAGE OUR NEWEST MEMBERS TO CARRY ON THAT TRADITION AND DRIVE FOR EXCELLENCE.
Hall of Fame CommitteeMEMBERS: STEVE JOHNSON, ED MCKIMMY, TOM ROYAL, TOM RAU, PAT MCKENNA, PAT O’REILLY, TOM EVANS, CAL TER HAAR
The Hall of Fame committee met to begin the process of establishing the criteria to name, vote and install members in the GCCOA Hall of Fame. The following items were discussed and voted on:
- Committee members length of term, 3 years, can be re-selected.
- Quorum, 4 or more members present.
- Vote, simple majority, tie vote equals a NO.
- Nominations, can come from any GCCOA member.
- Criteria for election: Candidate should be an individual that has made an outstanding contribution to officiating in our area, and/or contributed to serving as an officer, trainer, or some other capacity in service to the GCCOA membership. Individual should be retired from officiating for five (5) years, individual should have been a member of the GCCOA for a minimum of ten (10) years, individual’s state finals appearances, Massar Award, Beagle Award, etc., should be considered, but not the only measure of ability.
- Number of inductess, the first year will be no more than twelve (12), then five (5) per year after the first year.
- Nominees should be presented in writing to the Hall of Fame Committee. GCCOA members will be able to attend meetings to speak in support of their candidate.
- Meeting dates will be posted on gccoa.us website.
- Nominees and inductees for 2016: